Monday, September 26, 2011

New Toy Arrived

My husband is being amazingly wonderful about my growing addiction.  This latest acquisition arrived last week and I didn't have a chance to unwrap it until yesterday.  I purchased it for the bentwood case, hoping to use the lock in my other bentwood case as this one has water damage.  Bad news is the lock isn't a match.  The good news is I think I can fix the bottom of the "new" bentwood case and use it for Black Betty if she won't fit in my latest $6 vintage machine and cabinet win.  (Pictures for that will come later after I clean it up).

The better news is I think I can get this sweet beastie restored for a friend of mine who'd like to purchase a vintage Singer.  This beauty cost me $5 plus shipping...roughly $30 total from Goodwill.  They did a great job of packing her up and she got here in one piece.


I sent them a big Thank You for such a good packing job.




This one is a knee control version (I hate the knee controls as they hit the wrong spot on my leg (I'm too tall for them).  They couldn't power her up either.  A quick check of the power cord reveals a missing locking mechanism, but these are easy enough to replace for less than $20 with updated wiring.


I love this particular light with the little pull chain.  It may get swapped over to my Crinkle machine, just because I think it's SO cool.



Some of the stencils are in really great shape.  I hope to get a good stencil pattern off of this one to make replacement stencils.


Love that it came with the metal cover (they're so often missing) and even better found original bobbins!


The knee control does work well, but the paint is pretty beat up.  Once I dig into her, I'll know if she's worth fully restoring, or would be better to part out and use as a decoration instead.  She's sitting on top of my first $6 machine with cabinet - a Kenmore 117 that I love the look of and haven't been able to part with yet.

I need to get pictures of the Violet Vixen posted as well.  She's my Kenmore 158.433 that I picked up for $14 that is missing her bobbin tension assembly.  Good news - I can still get that part.  Bad news - she has a paint chip.  I love her color though, so I may take her to a friend's brother (he has an auto body shop) to see if can mix a paint to match, or that is close enough to be worth a full paint stripping and repainting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to ask questions, but please be civil. No need for trolls, flaming, profanity, or nasty comments. If you feel the need to do any of those, please move on.