Monday, September 19, 2011

Canning Success and Vintage Machine Cleaning Tips

I've been learning to can from a friend of mine, which kind of takes time away from my vintage machine restoration projects.  But it's been a worthwhile effort.  Just this past weekend, I made my first attempt at Raspberry Preserves which came out very flavorful and yummy, and I canned up several different types of salsa.  I now have a dozen jars of salsa, a dozen jars of pickles, 4 jars of whole tomatoes, and nearly a dozen jars of Strawberry Jam and Preserves.  Here's a shot of the colorful concoctions (these went to work with me and were gone by the time lunch was over):



In addition to that, I put some Murphy's Oil Soap and elbow grease to good use and cleaned up the stains on the old Kenmore cabinet I picked up to put Black Betty in and am happy with the results.  Not so happy with the pictures though, as the before ones are no good.  I hope to post pictures of the cleaned up cabinet in a few more days, after a bit more elbow grease.

Well, I've been digging and digging and have yet to find any recommended "recipe" for the various cleaning methods I've seen out there, which I find annoying.  So, for everyone else out there, I'm going to measure my combinations of vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice, and 409 and post them here with before and after shots of the results.  Even if it only helps me, it'll be worth it.

Black Betty's buttonholer attachment has been found too, along with the manual.  Here's what I've found so far, knowing that there is more somewhere in a box in my craft room.  (I still have ones to open from our move 3 years ago).





This is the correct part number for the buttonhole attachment for a Singer 15-91.  Others work as well, but this one was original to the machine.  And I really like the "Made in U.S.A." mark.

In the next few days expect to see a few before and after pictures of a couple of plated pieces after being cleaned in vinegar or a baking soda/lemon juice mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to ask questions, but please be civil. No need for trolls, flaming, profanity, or nasty comments. If you feel the need to do any of those, please move on.