Monday, September 26, 2011

Cleaning Results - Vinegar

Black Betty has several plated pieces that need cleaning.  As most everyone can find, there are recommendations for using a myriad of cleaning solutions, including vague references to a baking soda/lemon juice paste (I've yet to find a "recipe" for this).  I've always had great results with vinegar on stuff around the house, so I chose to use the face plate as my test piece.  Mainly because the damage to this and the bobbin cover is identical, so it'll be a nice comparison example.

This is what the face plate looked like before a 24-hour vinegar soak.



Notice the tape damage at the top of the arc in the picture above?

Here's what it looks like after, with a very light "scrubbing" using a soft bristle toothbrush prior to a rinsing with water.





The rust popped up within a day; if I was done, I would have oiled it and not just let it air dry.  This still has a ways to go and it's getting another soak in vinegar to be followed up by a scrubbing and oiling.  The surface feels nice and smooth, so I'll be okay if it doesn't get as shiny as new.  I'm aiming for usable on this one, not perfection.  I'm anxious to get more time to put in on her, but may have to wait until I have time off at Thanksgiving.

I'm working on a good recipe for the baking soda/lemon juice solution to use on the bobbin case cover.  I'll let you know how that goes.  The brass medallion will be cleaned using Wright's Brass Cleaner - I used this during my stint as a Disneyland Cast Member and have always been pleased with the results.  I'll have pictures of the before and after on that as well.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to ask questions, but please be civil. No need for trolls, flaming, profanity, or nasty comments. If you feel the need to do any of those, please move on.