Friday, November 11, 2011

Who remembers Girl Scout Hot-Chocolate?

I still remember the feel and smell of my Brownies uniform and cold, dreary days remind me of my mom making us hot chocolate during our meetings to warm us up (and perhaps calm us down a bit).  My mom was my leader through Juniors and we made our own hot chocolate mix that we took on scouting camp outs, backpacking, and pretty much anywhere we couldn't haul the cold stuff.



Many years ago I made up a bunch of packages for family members for the holidays, coupled up with a cute Christmasy mug, and some cookies.  I've decided to do something similar this year but "dress" it up a bit, and thought I'd share some of the newly updated versions with you.  I've had to switch from MilkMan powdered milk (which was amazingly yummy) to Carnation as the company that made MilkMan closed it's doors.

Traditional Hot Chocolate

22 1/2 oz. (box) Carnation Powdered Milk
16 oz. CoffeeMate Powdered Creamer
1 lb.    Nesquick (a.k.a. Nestle's Quick) Chocolate Milk Drink

Optional:
2 cups sifted Powdered sugar

Mix it all together and keep it in an airtight, moisture-proof container.  When you're ready for some hot chocolate, it's usually 1/4 cup of mix to "standard" coffee mug.  You may need to add more if you have a different sized mug.



Now for the fun stuff!  CoffeeMate has introduced a lot of fun new flavors making more "adult" versions possible that don't require the toting around of Peppermin Schnapps (although hot chocolate and Peppermint Schnapps remains one of my favorite holiday treats!).


Peppermint Hot Chocolate

22 1/2 oz. (box) Carnation Powdered Milk
16 oz. CoffeeMate Powdered Peppermint Mocha Creamer
1 lb.    Nesquick (a.k.a. Nestle's Quick) Chocolate Milk Drink

Yum!!


Vanilla Caramel Hot Chocolate


22 1/2 oz. (box) Carnation Powdered Milk
16 oz. CoffeeMate Powdered Vanilla Caramel Creamer
1 lb.    Nesquick (a.k.a. Nestle's Quick) Chocolate Milk Drink

Other powdered options include:
French Vanilla
Vanilla Latte

Cinnamon Vanilla Creme

I'm stopping on the way home tonight for ingredients to try out the Vanilla Caramel version...it sounds heavenly.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to ask questions, but please be civil. No need for trolls, flaming, profanity, or nasty comments. If you feel the need to do any of those, please move on.