Friday, November 25, 2011

Singer Model 99 Clean Up

I received this poor girl a few weeks ago. Her bentwood case was cracked and had pieces that were loose. Her motor was loose, due mainly to a too small belt.  It looks as if someone had started a restoration on her without doing enough research and then simply gave up.

This is base all cleaned up.



I had to glue back in 3 of the 4 corner pieces. The were rolling around loose in the case bottom when I got her.  The top hinge was pulled up and nearly out of place due to the missing corner and some side wood pieces. Here they are all back in place.  (Sorry, it's a bit hard to see the red circles.)



She was pretty filthy when I got her.  Just look at the picture I bought her from.




And here she is, put back together, cleaned up and ready to find a new home.  I used plain vinegar to soak her face plate and bobbin slide plate, along with a few screws, for a few minutes. They came out much shinier than they went in.  I followed that up with a Carnuba wax refresh and quick bugg to bring some luster back. Too bad photos can't show it quite the same way it looks to the naked eye.


She's up for sale on my Etsy site for $55, plus shipping. I have her owner's certificate from Singer stating her date of manufacture of 1927 and a PDF version of the instruction manual.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to ask questions, but please be civil. No need for trolls, flaming, profanity, or nasty comments. If you feel the need to do any of those, please move on.