Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Wood Glue is your Friend!

I just received another vintage Singer.  (Yes, I'm in a full blown addiction here).  I purchased her strictly for the case's locking hardware, and not the machine.  When she arrived it's obvious why I got her so cheaply and why the didn't test her completely.

She's an old model, with the electrical components installed into the case and it's all original.  I had planned on selling off the machine by itself.  A JoAnn's employee has been looking for a decoration piece and I was thinking this one might be perfect for her.  It may end up being usable as well.

I've been wood gluing, clamping, and piecing the poor case back together.  Whoever had it didn't realize that the wooden pieces that were loose needed only to be glued back in place and are critical support pieces for the machine.  As a result the hinges have pulled forward and one completely broke through the wood.  This has been the toughest part of the piecing job.  Shame on me, I forgot to take "before" pictures, so you'll only have "after pictures.

I'm hoping to have her polished up and placed back in case sometime tomorrow.  For now I've named her Mustang Sally.  Her decals are in near perfect condition and once she's cleaned and oiled she may still work.  I won't try her out as her wiring is pretty rough, but she could be converted to a hand crank fairly easily for whoever owns her next.

I'm having fun working on these machines.  Tomorrow it's adjust the tension on the Neechi day to do some polar fleece projects on.  If it won't cooperate, then it's back to my Crinkle finish Model 15 for the heavy duty work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to ask questions, but please be civil. No need for trolls, flaming, profanity, or nasty comments. If you feel the need to do any of those, please move on.